Our Origins

A CERTAINTY FOR THE PALERMITANS SINCE 1890

A story made of tradition, self-denial for one’s work, passion and above all family …

For more than a century, this name has been synonymous with good Palermo cuisine.

Salvatore Catanese decided to specialize in this gastronomic sector by opening a restaurant in 1890, where he still is. And the family tradition in all these years has never stopped.

After Salvatore the trattoria was run by his son Antonino, who was succeeded by the founder’s grandson, also Salvatore, and today the owners are the daughters Maria Luisa and Rosanna and the grandchildren Ada and Gaetano.

What they say about us

FROM 21 FEBRUARY 2017
WE ARE OFFICIALLY A HISTORIC LOCAL OF ITALY

It was a period of great poverty and many among those customers did not have the means to buy that beneficial cup of broth, so the owner and founder of the restaurant, Salvatore Catanese, did not send them away but offered them that drink which – as the popular rumour had it – was so helpful to one’s health.

 

From then on, next to the board of this historical restaurant in Palermo another board reads ”at the Doctor“: it is just by this name that nowadays the restaurant is commonly known in and outside Palermo, so that when fixing a meeting for lunch or dinner it is sufficient to say: ”Let’s meet at the Broth Doctor“.

In 2017 Panorama Magazine included us like the best restaurants in the world that cook “brodo”

Our illustrious guests

WE HAD THE HONOR TO HOST MANY ILLUSTRIAN CHARACTERS

Always great personalities have crossed the door of our Restaurant.

We have the honor of being able to show only a few, the rest come to discover them at the Restaurant Casa del Brodo Palermo are so many!

 

From politicians, singers, actors both foreigners and Italians, all or almost if they are in Palermo, they make a “jump” from us!

For us it is an immense honor to be able to satisfy even their palates. This is also why we love our work.